Sunday 1 July 2012

A Comeback: July Morning

It's been a while since I last posted something on my blog, and the time has now come to do it again. I have a story to tell (the actual reason is that my phone won't upload photos to Facebook for some reason, so I can't quite tell the story in pictures only).
This is the story of a July Morning fail. For those of you who do not know, July Morning is totally a thing is Bulgaria. In short, people go down to the beach, listen to Uriah heep and watch the sun rise. I have been an active proponent of this this tradition for the past several years. In practice however, given the abscence of beaches where I live, other things such as hills have been good enough in the past. I now live by the ocean and it seems like a shame not to take full advantage of this fact. I, of course, always come prepared, and here is some evidence of this: 1) our gear, and 2) (parts of) me and my housemate and fellow Sussex Informatics inmate Alex down at Brighton beach:

The flask contains, you guessed it, Scottish-made firewater -- the ritual must be performed in full. That flask has a long history of its own, which is the subject of another post. Suffice it to say I bought it some time ago from a shop in Edinburgh and then took it and emptied it at most tourist attractions in the ciry.
Now, since this is England, one cannot expect the sun to come up every morning because. It is overcast more often than not. So we figure we should wait. And we waited. And waited. And it then started raining. But we are not the kind of people who give up easily, so we waited a bit more. And then came the revelation:
While we were staring at the Brighton Pier, the sun was rising BEHIND us!!! As science has shown before, you cannot trust two scientists to work out where east is.
The moral of the story: the south coast of England is facing the wrong way, we shall attempt to fix that next year. Alternatively, we will change venue. Hopefully, we will also be more successfull in recruiting people for the July Morning cause.Here is another picture to convince people it is awesome.

The picture of me making optimal use of a blanket (being Batman/Superman) is coming later. Please remind me if I forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment